Cardiff Bus has issued a major update on planned strike action that was set to disrupt services for a number of weeks. Members of the Unite union had balloted to strike in a dispute over pay with action due to begin on Tuesday, September 2.

But now Cardiff Bus has confirmed members have voted to accept the company's revised pay offer and call off the strike. The company, which is the primary bus provider for the Welsh capital and its surrounding areas like Barry and Penarth, said the strike being called off was a "positive outcome" achieved through "constructive discussions".

Craig Hampton-Stone, managing director, said: "We are delighted that this dispute has been resolved through constructive dialogue.

"The agreement reflects our determination to support our employees while ensuring Cardiff Bus continues to provide a reliable and dependable service for our city.

"We are grateful to Unite for engaging in this process and to our customers for their patience and understanding during this period of uncertainty."

All Cardiff Bus services will continue to operate as normal now that the industrial action has been called off. Never miss a Cardiff story by signing up to our daily newsletter here.

Strike action was previously suspended earlier this month after a revised pay offer was put forward alongside proposed changes to working conditions which included longer breaks and improved sickness terms.

This original industrial action was due to take place from August 17 and was due to run for three weeks, ending on Sunday, September 7.

However the union continued to ballot for an improved pay offer and proposed to strike for a period of three and a half weeks from the beginning of September.

Moreover, Strikes due to take place at aerospace giant Airbus have been postponed following a new pay and pensions offer from the employer.

Unite members at plants in Filton near Bristol, and Broughton, North Wales, were due to take industrial action next week.

Unite national officer for aerospace Rhys McCarthy said: “Following further negotiations with Airbus, Unite has secured an improved offer from the company. Our members will now be balloted over that offer.

“As a gesture of goodwill, all industrial action that was due to take place in September has been postponed.”

If the offer is rejected, industrial action will be held on September 23 and 24